Coach Ian – Week In Review: 08/15/2021
Book I’m Reading
By Scott Jurek and Jenny Jurek
Run Streak and Running Goals:
Progress: As of 8/14/21, I’ve now run 986 miles for the year, while maintaining my 227-day run streak.
Highlights from Mark Salgado’s 4th round Knockout!
Congrats to Mark Salgado, who scored a 4th round knockout this Saturday over 1-0 hometown favorite C’maje Ramseur. Mark had a very successful training camp, which had him sparring some of the best and in great condition for his fight. He came in at 133lbs and looked strong the entire night. More highlights to come this week.
Highlights from Uppercut Promotions’ Hot August Fights Card on August 6th, 2021:
Article of the Week: Race Report: The Big Chief 50K
I had some time to digest my last ultramarathon, the Big Chief 50K and wrote about all of the things I learned, including:
- Why athletes like Eliud Kipchoge are using glucose monitors to prepare for races
- The best time to fuel during your race. It’s not pre-race as that and the onset of exercise causes a blood sugar crash immediately
- How my glucose monitor impacted my fueling and race strategy
- Two startups (Levels Health and Supersapiens) and their differing philosophies for maintaining healthy blood sugar levels
- Why I stay away from most gels and how the steady glucose impact of UCAN gels helped my performance
- How the elevation impacted me and how I used my (surprising) heart-rate data to determine my pacing
- Why I started my ultra with an empty hydration pack, and
- My overall experience from the Big Chief 50k!
This Week at Dreamland Boxing:
Our classes have been increased to 16 people per class. Also, open gym hours have been extended from 9:30AM to 12:30PM and a Beginner’s Boxing Class on Saturdays at noon with Coach Eric. See the full updates here.
Dreamland Boxing has re-opened for outdoor classes. Classes will be capped and there will be no waitlist for classes. Come join me on Fridays at 4:30PM for a workout!
Also, I have continued to host our virtual boxing sessions. Thank you to our members for keeping your memberships active and continuing to support our gym during this time. And I’m personally glad to have been able to aid in your boxing development all year!
Our virtual practices this week featured the following:
- Technique – how to throw hooks and uppercuts
- Breaking down Mayweather’s mittwork routines
- Using the jab to step in
- Body weight circuits
- Kettlebell Single-Arm Swings and Turkish Get-Ups
- And more!
You can find a full list of drills if you are a current Dreamland Boxing member in the Premium Drills section of my website.
Subscribe to my newsletter!