I dive into my overall experience of the Big Chief 50K, and:
• My experience with COVID in training
• How I used live-time CGM data to make fueling decisions
• How the elevation impacted me and the ideal time to acclimate to elevation
• All the rookie mistakes I made this time around
• My overall experience from the Big Chief 50k!
Over my birthday weekend, I continued my annual tradition of celebrating my birthday running a race. This year, I ran the Quicksilver 50K to celebrate my 31st birthday. In my race recap, I write about the following:
• A conversation with the 100K overall winner, Ryan Ung, who also worked for Supersapiens and wears a continuous glucose monitor during races
• My insights running with the Supersapiens CGM app
• The 100K 1st place finishers glucose strategy for racing (i.e. his minimum baseline for glucose)
• Why most food supplied at races are junk (i.e. M&Ms, Cinnamon rolls, Snickers, Cookies, etc.), and what food sources I chose at the aid station (Sweet Potato, Banana, That’s It! Bar, Nuts, Seeds, etc.)
• Why I chose Spring Sports Nutrition Gels to power my race, in addition to HVMN ketone esters
• How a late-night game two nights prior impacted performance
• How long I plan to continue to running my age in years
• The camaraderie of running
Congrats to Jenn, Christine, and Jaymin for completing their 100K!
Each marathon that you run is an entirely different experience. I’m always experimenting and learning more about myself, my limits, and my body during races. I dive into my experience running the East Canyon Marathon, and a few other topics below in my blog post:
• How fueling both with UCAN gels and HVMN Ketone Esters helped me feel strong for the race
• Why training miles matter, and why they don’t
• Running in poor air: My decision to run wearing a KN95 mask
• PurpleAir vs AirNow and my AQI threshold for not running outside
• Why I carbo-loaded for this race
• The diminishing returns of fueling
• Muscle imbalances, possibly due to boxing
• The fluid nature of goal setting during marathons
The ideal cadence for running
Coach Ian – Week in Review 08/22/2021: Crossing 1,000 miles, my thoughts on Manny Pacquiao-Yordenis Ugas, and Mark Magsayo-Julio Ceja, Amanda Serrano is P4P #1 in women’s boxing, When a Boxer Should Retire, and Dreamland Boxing updates.
Coach Ian – Week in Review 08/08/2021: Mark Salgado scores a 4th round knockout over C’maje Ramseur, my take on the US and Filipino Olympic Boxers, how CGMs assist in fueling, and Dreamland Boxing updates.